Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Queen’s Delight

A few weeks ago, my friend, Julie, was having a birthday celebration. Her boyfriend, Chris, had heard that I made delicious cupcakes so he asked me to make her chocolate cupcakes with white icing. Apparently no one told him that I don’t make just any cupcakes but rather I take what was once thought to be a kitty treat and trans form it into something heavenly. Knowing that Julie and Chris have very simple taste pallets I created something simple but delectable. Let’s just say that self proclaimed “Princess” Julie was not disappointed. For the cake portion, I used a bundt cake recipe that I acquired a few years ago from my former roomie Audrey. We used this recipe at least a hundred times for parties or dinner guest. It is always a crowd pleasure. For the icing, I decided to make a cream peanut butter icing. On top, I placed a miniature Reese’s Cup to resemble a crown. When serving, I would recommend having a goblet of milk nearby to compliment this royal sweet treat.

Chocolate Cake

1 box of triple chocolate cake
1 small box of chocolate instant pudding
8 ounces of sour cream
1 cup of oil
¼ cup of water
4eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
6 oz (or more) of chocolate chips

Combine first seven ingredients-all but chocolate chips. Mix for about 4 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into cupcake tins (or bundt pan). Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes for cupcakes or one hour for a bundt cake.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned or freshly ground)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons (about) whipping cream

Put powdered sugar and next 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth, adding whipping cream by teaspoonfuls if frosting is too thick to spread. Spread frosting in swirls over top of cupcakes. Garnish with miniature Reese’s Cups. (Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.)

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Do you use the same frosting for the bundt cake? Do you grease the pan?

Ted and Shana said...

I don't put frosting on the bundt cake. If you were to put anything cake, I would either drizzle of more fluid icing like fudge sauce or sprinkle powdered sugar. But honestly it doesn't need icing. The cake is really moist and yummy... the icing would almost take away from its goodness. The cupcakes on the other hand are smaller portions so that cake and icign compliment each other a little more.