Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pumpkin & Spice Creates Something Nice

So my last batch of Carmel Apple cupcakes were fabulous enough to get some rave reviews and a few shout outs. My friend, Tracy had like three in one night which I think might be the biggest compliment I have ever received. But if not having someone request your recipe for a cook-off and winning is certainly a nice pat on the back. As if that wasn’t reward enough for all my hard work, another friend from work hired me to make cupcakes for a party set with autumn tones. I saw this as a perfect opportunity to create a new favorite. I took my famous pumpkin bread recipe and adapted it to a more cake like substance. Then I search for a maple cream cheese flavor icing. Thank goodness I did a trail run first because the original icing recipe I used was almost as big of a disaster as the cherry cupcakes at least in my book. Let’s just say if it looks to easy to be true it probably is! Anyway, on my second search I found a great recipe by David Leite at http://www.leitesculinaria.com. There are lots of great recipes for all sorts of flavors so check out the site it you have a moment. In the mean, time you have to try the icing. FABULOUS does not even begin to describe it.

Pumpkin Spice Cupcake

2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground gloves
1 cup pumpkin puree (plain, not pumpkin pie kind)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 c chopped pecans, plus extra for garnish

Preheat oven to 325F. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and sugar to the bowl. Mix for about 3 minutes or until evenly combined. Fold in the pecans. Fill cupcake tines about 2/3 of the way from the top. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Maple Cream Cheese Icing
2 – 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups of confectioners sugar
¼ cup of pure maple syrup

To make the frosting, mix all the ingredients on medium until fluffy. Frost the cupcakes when they have cooled and top with chopped pecans if preferred.

No comments: