Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes

A while back, a friend of mine gave me "100 Best Cupcake Recipes." There was a fun summery recipe for pink lemonade cupcakes that I thought would be perfect for VBS this week. When I went to the store to pick up the items I needed I found that they were out of a several things. As you can imagine being a new mom I don't have time to make multiple stops. So my cupcake wheels started turning and by the time I left I had already reworked the recipe to make raspberry lemonade cupcakes. They turned out better than I could have imagined. The cupcakes are fluffy with a tasty tangy flavor. The icing has just a splash of lemon which leaves a nice after taste. The only obstacle in this recipe is that I made them so moist that once the cupcakes cooled they acted like a sponge and some of them pulled away from the wrappers. So I made a few adjustments to stiffen up the batter. So here it is a refreshing summer treat great for parties by the pool!

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes

1 box of white cake mix (no pudding)
1 cup of water
3 eggs
1/2 cup of raspberry lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 small container of yoplait lemon burst yogurt
6 to 8 drops of red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350. Stir cake mix, water, eggs, oil, raspberry lemonade concentrate, lemon yogurt, and oil together. Add food coloring to desired shade of pink. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full. Place in oven to bake for 20 minutes.

Raspberry Lemonade Icing

1/4 cup of raspberry lemonade concentrate
4 cups of powdered sugar
1/3 cup of butter, softened
fresh raspberries
2 to 3 firm lemons

Beat powdered sugar, raspberry lemonade concentrate, and butter. If necessary continue to add lemonade concentrate 1 tablespoon at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Then zest lemons or cut into 1/8 slices. Add a raspberry and sprinkle lemon zest to the top.

No comments: