Monday, July 7, 2008

Baja Burrito vs. Blue Coast

Baja Burrito is a locally owned fresh mex burrito joint located in Berry Hill. At any given time of the day, you can walk up to find a line out the door. What makes them so good you ask? Good question...perhaps it's the fact that every thing is made fresh on the spot. Maybe people love the fact that every order is made the way you want it meaning you can have all, nothing, or something in between. If those are not good enough reasons, then maybe it's the refillable chips and amzing queso. Really I have no idea what makes it so fabulous, but it's good enough to make people wait in line for twenty minutes just to enjoy one of the finest burritos in town. And it's good enough that a few years ago they decided to branch out. The company wanted to maintain the authenticity of Baja Burrito so they created a spin off chain called Blue Coast. As I was researching Blue Coast Burrito I was pretty amazed at how quickly and how far it has expanded. There are shops litterally from one end of the state to the other as well as a few in Arkansas in a little less than three years. Pretty Impressive! Blue Coast has the same bright colors and crazy dessert decor as Baja. They also use a similar menu with the famous made to order style. After visiting several locations, I have concluded the spin off is good, but not quite the same. I can't explain exactly why the food taste different considering they use the same menu, but there just seems to be something missing. Perhaps it's more the atmosphere. The regulars know the loyal staff. More importantly despite the large crowds the staff seems to know you. After years of weekly visits, they begin to remember the way I like my food without me having to order. Then of course the other bonus is that on any given day you will run into someone or a dozen someones you know. There are actually two or three people I run into almost everytime I go. All of this to say there is just something about Baja that people can't get enough of....and can't be satisfied by spin offs. Kay West from the Scene said it best "No matter how bad a case of seasonal affect disorder you are suffering, there is no way you can walk out of Baja without a smile on yoru face." If you don't believe me check it out for yourself. I would recommend a chicken taco salad with honey chapotla dressing, or a steak burrito with guacomolie, or their speciality a trio of fish tacos. You really can't go wrong!

1 comment:

3 Little Monkeys said...

I completely agree! It is a taste of home for me and Tyson. We visit monthly!